Feb. 14, 2017
College Basketball: Treat 16 Power Poll Week 1
Now that the New Year is here, we are ready to unleash the first Treat 16 Power Poll. So far, conference play has been incredible throughout the country. In fact, there are only two undefeated teams left in the country. The Baylor Bears in the Big 12 and the Gonzaga Bulldogs in the West Coast Conference have managed their schedules successfully.
However, as the Villanova Wildcats just showed, it's difficult to win all of their games. The Wildcats entered the week on a 20-game winning streak. Then they lost to the Butler Bulldogs in a great Big East matchup. Therefore, the Wildcats are not going to be the No. 1 team in the first Treat 16 Power Poll of the season.
So far, the top teams in the ACC have struggled to win games. For example, the Louisville Cardinals came into the conference season flying high. They defeated Kentucky and Indiana in their last four games. The Cardinals also dropped games to Virginia and Notre Dame in the same time frame. They also have a loss to Baylor in the nonconference slate.
Here is the Week 1 College basketball Treat 16.
1. Baylor Bears (14-0, 2-0): At the start of the season, nobody expected the Baylor Bears to be at the Top of Treat 16 Power Poll. Alas, the Bears are 1 of 2 undefeated teams left in the country. They have already defeated Oregon, Louisville and Michigan State. Is this the year, the Bears win the Big 12. Next games vs. Oklahoma State, @West Virginia.
2. UCLA Bruins (15-1, 3-1): The Bruins might be the most exciting team in college basketball. Lonzo Ball and T.J. Leaf lead the an array of scorers for the PAC-12's most intriguing team. They defeated Kentucky on the road. However, the Bruins did lose a road game to Oregon. The Bruins are fresh off of a win over the Cal Bears. Next games. vs. Stanford, @ Colorado
3. Villanova Wildcats (14-1, 2-1): The Wildcats had to lose at some point. The double road trip to Creighton and Butler finally did the trick. Villanova is fresh off of a 20-game win streak so this position may be a little low. Their lost to Butler came after leading for most of the game. Next games. Vs. Marquette, vs. Xavier.
4. Gonzaga Bulldogs (15-0, 3-0): The Bulldogs are the other undefeated team in college basketball. They are outscoring opponents by 20 points per game. Gonzaga may finish the regular season undefeated. Next games @Portland vs. Loyola Marymount.
5. Oregon Ducks (14-2, 3-0): Yes, the Ducks have lost two games. They also came in the first 10 days of the season. They defeated UCLA in a great game. Dillon Brooks and the Ducks have stormed out of the game in the PAC-12. Keep in mind, one of their losses came to Baylor without Brooks. Next games. @Washington State.
6. Kentucky Wildcats (12-2, 2-0): If the first week of the SEC is any indication, the Wildcats may blaze through the conference. Malik Monk and De'Aaron Fox are a terrific guard tandem. Their front court is explosive as well. Next game vs. Arkansas, @ Vanderbilt.
7. Florida State Seminoles (14-1, 2-0): The Seminoles had the week off and resume play tomorrow. They are coming off of a win over Virginia last Saturday. Next games vs. Virginia Tech, vs. Duke.
8. Kansas Jayhawks (13-1, 2-0): Kansas traveled their way into a victory over Kansas State. The game should have gone into overtime. Other than that, the Jayhawks are doing fine. Next games vs. Texas Tech, @Oklahoma.
9. Creighton Bluejays (14-1, 2-1): Creighton's only loss came to the Villanova Wildcats. They defeated St. John's on the road. The Bluejays have a big week coming up. Next games @ Providence, vs. Butler.
10. Duke Blue Devils (13-2, 1-1): Remember, when the walls were crumbling around the Duke program? They dismantled Georgia Tech in Coach K's last game. Now Jeff Capel takes over as the head coach indefinitely. Next games vs. Boston College, @ Florida State.
11. Butler Bulldogs (13-2, 2-1): Butler only has two players averaging double figures. Yet, they are an extremely deep team ready to make a run in the Big East. Two of their biggest plays in the win over Villanova came by role players. The Bulldogs hit the road for a pair. Next games @ Georgetown, @ Creighton.
12. Notre Dame Fighting Irish (13-2, 2-0): Notre Dame has four players averaging double figure points. Their two losses came to Villanova and Purdue. They have wins over Pittsburgh and Louisville. Next games vs. Clemson, @ Miami.
13. Saint Mary's Gaels (13-1, 3-0): While everyone is looking at Gonzaga, the Saint Mary's basketball team is floating through their schedule. They have the No. 4 defense in the country, giving up 58.6 points per game. After a win over BYU, the Gaels hit the road. Next games @ San Francisco, @ Portland.
14. Virginia Cavaliers (11-3, 1-2) The Cavaliers have the No. 1 defense in college basketball. However, they lost their last two games. One on a game-winner and the other in overtime. We think the Cavaliers will get back on track momentarily. Next game vs. Wake Forest.
15. North Carolina Tar Heels (13-1-1): The Tar Heels were desperately close to losing their first two games of the ACC season. Their overtime victory over Clemson was huge. Next games vs. North Carolina State, @ Wake Forest.
16. Arizona Wildcats (14-2, 3-0): The Wildcats are part of a three-way race in the PAC-12. They are only giving up 60 points per game. Their losses came to Butler and Gonzaga. The Wildcats also beat Utah last night by 10 points. Next games vs. Colorado, vs. Arizona State.