Oct. 28, 2014
Against The Odds
It’s been a long time...I shouldn’t have left you...
I haven’t posted in a long time...my bad. A big part of it is because there has been a lot going on both on and off the basketball court. So it is all over the Internet and it is official...I am a Dallas Maverick. I want to start off by showing my appreciation...
Thank You Shouts
• God: I knew God had a plan for me and I am happy about the way things worked out. I'm so thankful.
• Mi Familia: Everyone was really supportive about my dream. This is my dream and my family knows that about me...the dream is still very much alive. And it takes team work to make the dream work!
• My lady Michelle Game: You are my rock. Thank you for always having my back.
• Mark Cuban, Donn Nelson, and Coach Rick Carlisle: Thank you for giving me a chance. I won't disappoint.
• My agent Jeff Schwartz and the team at Excel Sports: You were right Jeff...I was in a fight for my life.
• My left and right hand, my brothers Rob Elia & Rob Carlos: Thanks for always having my back. I miss you guys.
• A mentor of mine, Nate Blue: Thanks for always believing and supporting in me. You saw my talent at a young age and always believed in me.
• Chawlaaaa: Thank you for your pep talks.
So here I am in Dallas, the regular season is around the corner and I am so hyped about it. I have to get a place to live, I am tired of room service, and I am ready to get this part of my career underway. I haven’t been this excited about basketball in a really long time.
This was truly a challenging process. I was talking to my boy, RJ (Richard Jefferson), and he really put making the team into perspective. This was a hard thing to do. I never wavered with confidence but if you really think about it, this was challenging. The team was set...they had 15 guaranteed contracts before I even met with Coach Carlisle the very first time. I had to beat out guys who Cuban already committed to. And Cubes and Co. have always told me that this is a team that would not worry about money...that they would sign the best players for the team to contend for a championship. I didn’t take a dollar to join this team at training camp. I had to come to Dallas and EARN my spot. A workout turned into a camp invite, which turned out to making the team, which could turn into anything. Imagine if I am part of a process to win a title? How crazy of a story will that be? And to be really truthful, most of the time, I didn’t know where I stood. I had a lot of good moments during this process, but I also had moments where I was clueless on my standing.
This has been a totally different experience for me. Obviously, I was picked in the Top 10 NBA Draft, had a great rookie season, made some good waves at Milwaukee and then went to Detroit with a ton of promise. We know how that story ended...it didn’t work out. BUT I never had to be a part of an experience where every single day, every single play, every single shot, every single moment...I was fighting for my life. Fighting for my dream...and little by little, my dream was becoming a reality.
It’s the possibility of having a dream come true that makes life interesting. And trust me life is interesting. Always believe in yourself. Always believe in your dream. Always have the courage to confront your dream.
So “Act 1” is over. I am a Maverick. Now “Act 2” is to help this team win. Stay connected, keep watching. #MavsNation
So so so thankful,
Charlie Villanueva #believeincharlie