Mar. 15, 2020
HurricaneDij's 2020 Northwest Indiana Softball Outlook
Notable 2019 Performances:
- Notre Dame commit and Crown Point shortstop Anna Holloway hit five home runs as a sophomore. In addition, she came through with an RBI double during last season's 2-0 win over Lake Central on their field in the sectional title game. This season, Holloway will likely take on more of a leadership role under new coach Angie Richwalski, who, by the way - Is the same age as me. (In other words: My sports blogging days are numbered.)
- Morgan Township senior catcher/infielder Karlie Lemmons led her Cherokees with eight home runs and 38 RBIs last season as a junior.
- Kankakee Valley third baseman and Trine University commit Madey Flick, now a senior, batted .406 with six home runs.
- Lake Central senior right fielder and University of Charleston commit Morgan Hoppe was good for .366 with 10 doubles and 12 RBIs.
- On the basketball court during the Wildcat Winter Classic at Hanover Central back in December, Whiting pitcher/shortstop Abby Toth went for 19 points and nine rebounds, including two three-pointers in a near-upset of Griffith. On the softball diamond, the current senior hit .474 with six doubles, 21 RBIs, and 10 stolen bases.
- Toth's teammate and fellow senior Sydney Maley should emerge as the Oilers' top power threat, for she batted .471 and belted four home runs as a junior.
- My favorite athlete with the name "Kuzma" (Quite frankly, the other guy has not set the bar very high;), Hanover Central junior Sydney Kuzma hit three home runs, four doubles, and stole two bases in 51 plate appearances as a sophomore.
- Her senior teammate - HC center fielder and Marquette commit Elise Kratkoczki hit .493 with 30 stolen bases in 2019.
- With all of the power threats on LaPorte's roster in recent seasons, it would have been incredibly easy to overlook third baseman Morgan Keen. That said, the senior currently holds six career home runs and an on-base percentage of .424. #KeepItKeen