Fairfax Man Charged With Reckless Driving After Martinsville Race

Sixty-five year old Gary T. Edem of Fairfax, Virginia is charged with wreckless driving. Edem has also been placed on an unsecured bond of $7,500.


The man who police say injured 22 people by driving a car into a crowd Sunday at Martinsville Speedway has been charged with reckless driving.

The man, whose identity has not been released, was taken before a magistrate late Sunday night and charged with reckless driving a $7,500 bond.

State police are still working to determine the exact cause of the crashes.

More charges are pending consultation with Henry County Commonwealth’s Attorney Andrew Nester, according to state police.

State police say more information is expected to be released about the incident Monday afternoon.

At least 22 people are injured after a person drove their car into a crowd at a parking lot of the Martinsville Speedway Sunday afternoon.

Around 5:40 p.m., law enforcement got reports of pedestrians being hit by a car in a parking lot outside the Martinsville Speedway in Henry County. The crash happened after the race in the handicapped parking area outside of Turn 2 of the Speedway. The parking lot was crowded when a 2005 Chevrolet SSR convertible hit a Jeep it was attempting to pass along with many nearby pedestrians.

Nine people were taken to nearby hospitals for treatment of non-life threatening injuries. Seven were brought to Memorial Hospital in Martinsville and two others were brought to Morehead Memorial Hospital in Eden, North Carolina. Thirteen people were treated on scene for minor injuries.

The driver of the car was taken into custody. They are being interviewed by Virginia State Police. Alcohol does not appear to have been a factor in the crash. Charges are pending.

The scene has been cleared.

The Ridgeway District Volunteer Rescue, Ridgeway District Volunteer Fire, Henry County Sheriff’s Office, City of Martinsville Sheriff’s Office, Martinsville Speedway officials, Henry County Department of Public Safety and Virginia State Police immediately responded to the scene.

The investigation is ongoing.