Dec. 11, 2016
Ultimate Bowl Betting Guide
College football bowl betting is upon us and OffshoreInsiders.com again presents the ultimate betting guide for the 2016-17 bowls.
A stunning 94 percent of totals bets are on the over.
Wyoming is the second best over team in terms of margin, going over 9-4 by 13.7 points per game.
Colorado State’s 10-2 against the spread mark is second in the nation.
Eastern Michigan-Old Dominion
Old Dominion has gotten 77 percent of the spread bets on them, making them one of the strongest public bets of the bowls.
One could argue that NC State has the most deceptive spread record in the nation. Though 8-4 in the back pocket, their Vegas margin is even. Four times, they covered by 4.5 or less, while the Vegas setbacks were by 9, 11.5, 22, and 23 points.
Temple had the best spread W-L record going 12-1, covering by an average of 7.7 points per game.
Baylor has the worst spread numbers of any bowl team, going just 3-9 by an average of -8.7.
Seventy-five percent of wagers offshore and in Vegas on this game are on Washington State.
Pittsburgh is the top over team in the nation, going over 11-1 by a whopping 20.6 points per game. The No. 2 team Wyoming went over by an average of 13.7.
Colorado’s 10-3 against the spread record is third best in the nation.
Washington has a deceptive spread record. Though only 7-6 against the spread, their spread margin is +8.0, third best in the nation.
Western Michigan went 9-4 to the number by an average cover of 8.5, second in the nation.
Penn State is the top spread team in the nation based on margin as they went 9-3 by an average margin of 8.9.
One of the strongest consensus sides and totals are both on this game, with 75 percent of tickets written on Oklahoma and 88 on the over.
• For those who believe high totals benefits the favorites, there is some validity. Favorites of 3.5 or more with a total of 56.5 or more are 60-47 for 56.1 percent.
• Teams that covered 25 percent or fewer of their games in the regular season are 17-9 in bowl games against the spread. That angle favors Southern Miss, Boise State, Baylor, South Alabama, TCU
• Some teams enter the bowls ice-old. Teams that have lost at least 4-of-5 straight up entering the bowls are: Maryland, Central Michigan, Baylor, North Texas, and Wake Forest.
• Baylor is in fact, only the second team to enter the bowls on at least a six-game losing streak, the other being Illinois in 2011. Illinois won and covered. Teams that enter on at last a five-game losing streak have covered all three times since 1992, winning by an average of 11.7 points
• Western Michigan is only the third undefeated team to be an underdog of at least seven points to a team with two or more losses. The previous two split SU and ATS
• Minor bowl games that are expected to high scoring generally are. December games with totals 66.5 or higher have gone over at a 23-11 rate: Central Michigan-Tulsa, Memphis-Western Kentucky, Baylor-Boise State, Northwestern-Pitt
• Likewise December bowls with totals of 50 or less go under at a 38-24 rate: Arkansas State-Central Florida, Ohio-Troy, Boston College-Maryland, Vanderbilt-NC State, Wake Forest-Temple, TCU-Georgia
For all the bowl betting winning picks, check out Joe Duffy, winning since 1988 at OffshoreInsiders.com