Lucky Number Seven

The Philadelphia Flyers won their 7th straight victory Thursday Night against the Edmonton Oilers, 6-5 in a goal scoring frenzy. 

In this thriller game, the Flyers won 6-5 with outstanding help from their captain, Claude Giroux. 

The Flyers looked to build on a six-game winning streak. Having won their seventh straight game, this puts them at a three way tie with the Pittsburgh Penguins and New York Rangers in the Metropolitan Division. 

Steve Mason manned the net for his sixth straight game, hoping to continue a recent string of hot play he has been pulling out. 

The Oilers speed was in full effect tonight at the Wells Fargo Center. Leon Draisaitl was able to convert on a 2-on-1 just 4:39 to open the scoring in the first period. In the second period, the Oilers Connor McDavid scored on the power play at 4:35 on the clock, putting Edmonton up 2-0.

With just about everything going wrong for the Flyers, prayers were answered and the Flyers struck an even-strength goal. Just a few second's later, Bellemare, with his first official goal of the season, tied the knot with seven minutes to play in the second period. Then, a few second's after that, the captain (oh captain) literally leaped from his skates and fired one towards the back of the net to put the Flyers on top 3-2. The three goals were within a 1:12 of each other. 

But, the pride and joy didn't last long. Andrej Sekera beat Mason just as the Flyers power play was starting a 4-on-4 tying the game at 3 late in the second period.  

The Oilers scored twice in the opening six minutes of the third period, putting the over 19,000 in attendance to quite. Oilers were up by two again looking to seal the deal. 

In the middle of the third, Voracek was able to find the net and put the Flyers only behind one. Having thirteen minutes left to play, the Flyers needed to equalize. The equalizer would come about six minutes later, Gudas fed Giroux in the low slot and was able to hammer it into the net to tie the game at five. This was Giroux's second goal of the night, and the second two-goal deficit the Flyers overcame on the night. 

As the time ticked down, still tied at five, both teams are looking at overtime. But then, Michael Raffle, powered his way to the net beating Gustavsson with 1:29 left to   finish it off.  

Mason held his on the last minute to defeat the Oilers 6-5. The Oilers outshout the Flyers 33-31 on the night, but the Flyers got the upper hand to extend their "hot" streak. 

The Philadelphia Flyers go for win number eight Saturday, 1 pm EST. at the Wells Fago Center before heading on a three game road trip next week.