NASCAR: Sprint Unlimited Format and Eligible Drivers Announced
Eligible drivers and format announced for 2016 Sprint Unlimited at Daytona
NASCAR announced today the 25 eligible drivers and the format for the season-opening 75-lap Sprint Unlimited at the new Daytona International Speedway stadium on Saturday, Feb. 13.
The non-points event, which will be broadcast live on FOX, MRN and SiriusXM, marks the first NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race following the completion of DAYTONA Rising, the $400 million frontstretch redevelopment project that has transformed Daytona International Speedway into the first motorsports stadium in the world.
The race will be split into two segments, with a competition caution at lap 25. Returning from 2015: select fans will be paired with each crew chief for a random drawing to determine starting and pit road positions. The drawings will take place on Friday, Feb. 12 at the Alert Today Florida Stage inside the Sprint FANZONE beginning at 3:30 p.m.
"We're ready to go. The anticipation for this season, this event and this venue is unprecedented. We are excited how the new stadium will provide a state-of-the-art showcase for the brightest stars of the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series."
- Steve O'Donnell, Vice President and Chief Racing Development Officer
The 25 eligible NASCAR Sprint Cup Series drivers include:
• 2015 Coors Light Pole Award winners
• Former Sprint Unlimited race winners
• Former Daytona 500 pole winners who competed full time in 2015.
• All 16 drivers from the 2015 Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup
• Any remaining open positions are filled based on 2015 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series championship driver points.
Here is a list of the eligible drivers:
2015 Coors Light Pole Awards winners
· AJ Allmendinger, Kurt Busch, Kyle Busch, Carl Edwards, Denny Hamlin, Kevin Harvick, Jimmie Johnson, Kasey Kahne, Matt Kenseth, Brad Keselowski, Jeff Gordon, Joey Logano.
Former Sprint Unlimited Race Winners
· Dale Earnhardt Jr., Tony Stewart.
Former DAYTONA 500 Coors Light Pole Award winners
· Greg Biffle, Austin Dillon, David Gilliland, Danica Patrick, Martin Truex Jr.
2015 Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup drivers:
· Clint Bowyer, Jamie McMurray, Paul Menard, Ryan Newman.
2015 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series championship driver points:
· Aric Almirola, Kyle Larson.
Tickets for the Sprint Unlimited are available online at DaytonaInternationalSpeedway.com or by calling 1-800-PITSHOP. Fans can follow @NASCAR and @MissSprintCup on Twitter to engage in the #SprintUnlimited conversation.